Textiles Technology is a very creative and imaginative subject to study. It includes all aspects of designing and making textiles products. Decorative and construction techniques are a significant part of the work in all year groups. Alongside the regular use the sewing machine we experiment with a wide range of hand and machine embroidery techniques. We experiment with the use of appliqué, reverse appliqué, beading, fabric printing using the sublimation printer, the CAD/CAM embroidery machines, traditional methods and much more.
- Investigating the functional properties of fibres and fabrics including smart and modern materials and the use of a wide range of textiles components.
- Designing new, innovative textiles products.
- Learning the manufacturing processes and techniques to make innovative and creative textiles products.
- Making choices as a consumer.
- Considering environmental, social, moral and ethical issues related to textiles.
We aim to make educational visits to suitable textile shows to keep to to date with current trends and ideas.
Students will need to purchase fabrics, patterns and other haberdashery items for their projects.
Subject team leader: Mrs Ellie Taylor
What the AHS girls have made: