How do I contact people?

Miranda Crafts, SENDCo:

Donna Fox, Learning Assistant:

Michelle Lee, Learning Assistant:

Lisa Westcott, Mental Health and Wellbeing Lead:

For compliments or concerns about students with SEND please contact:

Mr Giles Scoble: Headteacher:

The school’s complaints procedure can be found here



What are the school’s arrangements for students with SEND transferring between other education providers or preparing for adulthood and independent living?

Year 6 to 7

Prior to children leaving their primary school information is gathered from the class teacher/ as to the type of support they will need. The Head of Year 7 or other staff member visits each feeder school and meets with the class teacher and the children.  In some instances it may be felt that the child would benefit from extra transition support.

Post 16

  • Connexions would provide individual advice to support the student with careers advice.
  • If the student is leaving to attend a new school or college they are supported during the transition on an individual basis and the SENDCo would liaise with the new setting.

What partnerships are there to help the school meet the needs of SEND students?

The school’s governing body involve other bodies (including health, social care, Bucks. CC support services) to meet the needs of students with SEND and their families by using the following outside agencies:

  • Specialist Teaching service to support students with Autism, Visual impairment, Hearing impairment and Physical Disabilities, Speech and Language needs
  • Education Safeguarding Team
  • CAMHs (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service)
  • School Nurse Team
  • Community Paediatrics
  • Social Care
  • Family resilience
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Education and Welfare Officers
  • Counsellors
  • Pupil Referral Unit
  • County SEN Team

How does the school communicate with parents about SEND?

  • If parents have a concern about a specific subject they should contact the Subject Team Leader in the first instance. If the concern is pastoral then the Head of Year should be contacted. Specific concerns which relate to the students special need or disability should be raised with the SENDCo.
  • Each student who has been identified as having special needs will have a one page profile that is written in conjunction with them and shared with parents.
  • Assessment data is sent out on a termly basis and will inform parents/carers of their daughter’s progress.
  • Parent Consultation evenings are held once a year when parents/carers can meet with subject teachers. The SENDCo is also available to see parents on these occasions.
  • Students are asked to set personal targets in discussion with their form tutors each term and these are written into their planner.
  • Students with EHC plans meet with the SENDCo to set targets.

What training is available for staff to help them support young people with SEND?

  • INSET on SEND and differentiation are regularly included in our staff training schedule.
  • Individual staff have had further, or more specific training on how to support students with individual needs from specialists or through external training courses.
  • SEND representatives from each faculty meet together regularly to discuss new initiatives, training needs etc. Information is disseminated back to subject teams via departmental meetings.

How are the school’s facilities equipped for those with disabilities?

  • The school’s main buildings have been retrofitted where possible to meet DDA compliance, but not all classrooms are accessible by wheelchair.
  • The main buildings are accessible on the ground floor for wheelchair users and there are lifts available in the sports hall and sixth form block to access History  and Politics classrooms on higher floors. There is also a chairlift in the main foyer which enables access to the classrooms on the first floor of the languages and tower blocks and one of the science labs.   Lessons are timetabled on the ground floor/lift accessible rooms for students who are wheelchair users. Ramps are in place to allow access to areas where there would have been a raised curb or steps.
  • Each building has a toilet adapted for disabled users.
  • Disabled parking bays are nearest to the student reception to provide easier access for students and parents/carers.
  • In order to make the school site more accessible for students who are visually impaired, yellow lines have been painted on areas that have been identified during a risk assessment that was carried out by a specialist teacher.
  • IT suites incorporate at least one larger screen and signage has been produced so that it can be read by students with visual impairment.
  • Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEPS) are made for every student with a physical disability for whom this is relevant to identify exit routes from every classroom they access, in the event of a fire.

How is provision monitored?

  • In consultation with the student and parent/carer, a one page profile is written by the SENDCo; these are reviewed regularly.  They are accessible by all teachers and updates are notified to all personnel involved with the student.
  • Termly data and information from subject teachers, parents and most importantly, the student is all used to assess the effectiveness of the provision and the progress of students with SEND.

How are Special Educational Needs Identified?

Students are identified as needing extra support from information such as:

  • Concerns raised by parents/carers or the young person.
  • Information from feeder schools is passed on prior to transfer into Year 7.
  • Reading and spelling tests carried out on entry.
  • Baseline assessment carried out in the first term of Year 7.
  • Assessment data is analysed to identify students who are not meeting their targets.
  • Subject staff, form tutors and Heads of Year identify students who are not meeting targets or whose progress is slower than expected. The teacher completes the ‘Wave 1 and 2 intervention form’ with the student and informs the Head of Year and Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENDCo).
  • Assessments are carried out by a qualified specialist teacher on identification of students with suspected dyslexia or similar difficulties. If other specific learning difficulties are suspected then other external agencies may be involved.

How are mental health needs supported?

  • Emotional and social development is supported through various avenues including the form tutor and HOY, subject teachers, the SENDCo and Mental Health and Wellbeing Lead.
  • The school has a number of specially trained peer listeners to support other students and a buddying system for new Year 7 students.
  • We have access to a school counsellors when appropriate.
  • The Penn Resilience Programme is part of the curriculum for Year 7 students and small groups of older students.
  • Some students require more targeted support which is offered through our social skills group, FACT or through the support of external agencies such as MIND, BEAT, CAMHS, R U Safe or Switch.